Systemd and internet connectivity

I can't say it would happen in every case. In fact, I'm sure this is a peculiar case. But I've concluded, and I think I'm right (unless other evidence proves me wrong) that systemd was what was causing my internet to have difficulty connecting on start up. Ubuntu 14.04 didn't yet use systemd, and that (probably the last version of Mint also) didn't give me problems connecting. So, for now, I'm with them.

Update: Switching to what should be a non-systemd system didn't solve the problem after all. The mystery still remains: Why does only Ubuntu 14.04 and derivatives seem to connect no problem, but anything else apparently doesn't?

Update2: I believe the answer is Upstart. Ubuntu 14.04 and Mint use upstart rather than init. I could be wrong, but there has to be a reason 14.04 based systems find my internet connection, while everything else doesn't always.

Update3: So far, it seems that Upstart is the answer. No problem connecting (yet) using it instead of init or systemd directly. Of course, systemd is still there, but I have it set so upstart does the connecting.

Popular Posts