Systemd, Init, and Upstart

Of all the arguments against systemd in Linux, the best one might be that it doesn't always work. Some time has gone by since my last post on this subject, I've had time to pretty much confirm (at least to my satisfaction) that systemd is the culprit behind my internet connectivity problems. About every third start up, I would have to reboot the modem to get the internet to connected. How is this progress?

By the way, init didn't work so well either for me. Maybe it is my old hardware, or a slow internet connection, but it just wouldn't always see the internet connection on start up. I tried the new Devuan (Debian) without systemd, which uses init, and had the same problem. Using upstart, the problem (for the time being) seems to disappear.

Problem is, just by happenstance, I ended up installing what works on an even older computer, that seems to be pretty slow at times, and doesn't like too many processes all at the same time. But for now, it is what works, and that is the key. I don't mind waiting a little longer for my computer to boot. But I do mind having to mess around just to get the internet working.

Systemd was a bad idea after all, especially for those with old hardware, or a slower internet connection, and I really wish Ubuntu and the rest would stop patting themselves on the back for their perceived good job.

Popular Posts