Note on Manjaro audio production compared to Ubuntu Studio.

While I'm writing in this blog anyway, and since it is on mind, I wanted to scribble something quickly about audio production in Linux, specifically something I've noticed about Ubuntu Studio (which I generally like) compared to Manjaro.

I have had various issues with Ubuntu Studio (basically Ubuntu XFCE with the real time kernel and video/audio production programs included). However, nothing that has become a deal breaker, and all stuff that is more or less "fixable" as I've gone on. Most of the problems I endd of fixing to some degree and move on, so I wouldn't be able to name too many off hand.

I have noticed that the cpu seems to run high often, but that could just as easily be hardware related. The weather app in XFCE failed at one point, so I replaced it with a different weather app. Some other incidental problem along the way, but as I wrote above - nothing too memorable.

However, Ubuntu Studio bills itself as a distro for artistic endeavors. It is. It works well for that really.

However, I've noticed that Manjaro has the audio program Ardour in the latest version. (I believe 5 is the latest at least.) Studio still has version 4 as the version within the repo. Without getting too technical, as this is simply a note "scribbled quickly," 4 seems to have minor problems (at least on my set up) that 5 seems to have fixed.

So, I suppose this is my one criticism of Ubuntu Studio in that regard for the moment. Of course, I tend to think Manjaro has come to do other things better than Ubuntu in general, but that is another matter for perhaps another time.

Popular Posts